Cloud/Development Operations Engineer
FinancialForce is the leading cloud ERP for the new services economy. The #1 ERP native to the Salesforce platform, FinancialForce unifies data across the enterprise in real-time, enabling companies to rapidly evolve their business models with customers at the center. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, FinancialForce is backed by Salesforce Ventures, Technology Crossover Ventures, Advent International, and UNIT4. For more information, visit www.financialforce.com.
THE ROLEThis role is split between two complementary aspects:
- Cloud Operations - provisioning, maintaining and supporting our Heroku production services
- Development operations - supporting our development teams with world class development infrastructure and tooling
FinancialForce applications are built on a hybrid cloud architecture, across Force.com and Heroku. Force.com is a fully managed aPaaS provided by Salesforce. Heroku (also a Salesforce company) is an industry leading PaaS.
- Site reliability - maintaining the uptime and security of our Heroku production services
- Contribute to definition and implementation of best practices for our Heroku deployment - including monitoring and alerting, logging, metrics collection, performance monitoring, auto-scaling
- Implement orchestration framework for deploying, managing, and monitoring applications on cloud infrastructure (primarily but not limited to Heroku)
- Define and implement best practices for CI/CD and continually optimize
- Contributing to architectural discussions as they pertain to provisioning of production services in Heroku
- Security and Compliance
- Tooling and Automation efforts to improve operations
- Manage / conduct disaster recovery tests for critical production services
- Develop / implement dashboards for customer facing status of production services
- Serve on the team's on-call 24x7 rotation and respond to production incidents and investigations
Supporting all of the FinancialForce Development teams by providing a world class Enterprise Software Development Environment on Force.com and Heroku, including: centralised technical services; state of the art tools; release management and engineering process knowledge. The role requires management, research and development of systems, which support development initiatives.
You will have the ability to communicate effectively and lead initiatives with other engineers with minimal supervision. You will be comfortable with cloud technologies, your way around the command line, and a solid foundation in programming and troubleshooting.
- Defining, implementing and supporting a set of Development Services that support a large and complex distributed Development environment. Examples of such services are Software Configuration Management, Continuous Integration and Continuous Release automation.
- Supporting Development teams by creating Product infrastructures needed to enable FinancialForce.com Products to be Developed, Tested and Released, in an efficient and controlled manner.
- Disaster Recovery strategy and support to ensure continuity of shared Development Services
- System Administration of Amazon Servers used to host shared services including user management, security, adherence to corporate policies and housekeeping.
- Definition and implementation of best practice around Continuous Integration and Continuous Release by providing necessary Source Control setup, creation of Jenkins jobs.
- Monitoring of release activities looking for best practice and process improvements.
- Maintain a minimum set of documentation to that supports and defines our Development processes.
- Provide research and other technical support to development and operations teams on technical subjects including support and use of third-party products.
- Develop and maintain tools and plug-ins designed to improve the efficiency of the Development teams.
- Provide education and training to Development teams such that they understand the Development workflow and processes.
- BS / BSc degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years experience in a 24×7 high-availability production environment
- Ability to work with scripting/automation technologies and disparate platform APIs
- Exposure to and maintenance of configuration management and orchestration tools at scale
- Security and compliance as it pertains to production cloud services
- Expert in automation and container technologies e.g. Chef, Ansible, scripting, Docker
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communicator, in both Spanish and English
- Resourcefulness in getting over problems and establishing clarity
- Managing time and projects
- Experience of the Salesforce and Heroku platforms/technologies would be advantageous
- Postgres experience and knowledge of advanced concepts e.g. sharding
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all; applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.